David Smith - Final Year Project

Friday, October 06, 2006

My New Idea

I was reading the Letters section of the Radio Times (as you do), and came across this letter from a Maureen Sinclair:

Reassessing The Risks
"One reason Top Gear (Sundays BBC2) is popular with millions of people is not simply that viewers are "petrolheads", but because the presenters take our risks for us, creating the excitement that we can't experience for ourselves. I hope Richard Hammond's accident doesn't mean the programme's demise or emasculation.

Society tries to be risk-free. Fear of risk imprisons our children and keeps them in front of TV screens and game consoles. Schools are afraid to take children on trips to do exciting things and limit sports where there is risk. "Risk-free" is bad for society. We all need that feeling of our hearts being in our mouths."

...For those people who have been living under a rock the past couple of weeks, Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond remained seriously ill in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car travelling at about 300mph whilst filming for the BBC programme. He seems to be ok now, but the incident sparked off a lot of debate as to whether or not programs like Top Gear should be "taking our risks for us" as Maureen Sinclair put it.

In terms of me and my course, Maureen's letter made me start to think about whether or not being in front of a TV screen or games console is such a bad thing? If that is the case, why do so many people do it? For my dissertation, I have decided to research into escapism and maybe find out if its influences on us are positive or negative.

I have also decided to base my project on escapism in video games. I have restricted myself to games as escapism over all subject matters to which it could be applied (i.e. books, sport, films etc. ...pretty much any hobbie) would be a huge amount to research and fit into a 6000 word essay. Also playing games is one of my main passions and potential areas I would like to move into in terms of my career after I have finished my course ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home