David Smith - Final Year Project

Friday, October 06, 2006

Group Session

I decided to go with the 'Animation From Sound' idea from my initial idea pool, but when I came to doing some initial research into it, I found I was struggling as there wasn't much information available :S

Later this week we had a group session where we all discussed our ideas in small groups. Some of the ideas the others in my group were coming up with were:

3D Acting - Exploring how the line between real and virtual actors has blurred with the advancements of new technology. Examples might be the new Superman Returns film (where its almost impossible to distingush between the real actor and 3D model). In terms of a dissertation, exploring the 'rights of ownership' could be the main topic. Who owns the 3D model, and does the actor have any say as to what it can or cannot do?

Layered Humour - Looking at how a lot of family films (especially the more recent ones) contain humour that is aimed at different age groups to keep the piece entertaining for everyone. Examples to look at might be all the Pixar films, Wallace and Gromit, and the Simpsons.

Future Perception - Investigating into how the future is perceived in terms of animation or more specifically anime. He wanted to look at how the perception of the future in animation has changed over time.

The session helped me in that hearing other peoples ideas and aims made me think about my own more, and also I got some feedback on my ideas. One suggestion was to look at music videos, which was a good idea (as the videos are made for the songs, not the other way round), but after some thought I've decided I don't really want to go into that as an area of research as I want to focus more on animation or gaming.

I've decided to go back to the drawing board in terms of my idea as there doesn't seem to be much to research. Also, I'm not particularly interested in the areas I could research!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home